The Race Against Drugs

Soriah Lunt, Editor

Jace Spencer, Grace High School senior, recently set up an anti-drug assembly for the entire school.  He brought some professional snowmobile racing friends and a local sheriff to help promote his cause.  First speaker was Brandon Titensor, Klim backcountry team rider as well as a professional Polaris rider.  Brandon encouraged the students to stay clean, dream on, and push themselves to reach their full potential.  He also said that the main reason that he never did drugs was for his family.  The second speaker was locally raised Dolan Phelps, a professional Polaris rider, and who competed in the 2015 X Games and obtained fifth place.  He mentioned that drugs and alcohol do not equal respect, in fact, they promote the opposite.  Dolan encouraged the students to lead by example so that they can make the right decisions for the people they respect.  Another speaker of high acclaim was Bart Butcher, who is the President of the Rocky Mountain Snowmobile Hillclimb Association, or the RMSHA.  This presenter actually tried marijuana while still a young age, but he decided to stop in order to raise a family, gain a career, and become a professional snowmobile racer.  He inspired the students to make their own “positive circle,” and to not get trapped in the “vicious cycle” of drugs and alcohol.  One of the younger racers present but certainly not the least credited, Tanner Meyers, a professional Polaris rider and a five- time world champion from Soda Springs, shared a personal story about how drugs and alcohol put his life and career in jeopardy.  He also stated that the high of a person’s happiness is much better and more powerful than the high of any drug the world can offer.  Sid Huntsman, the Klim riding gear marketing manager who has been riding snowmobiles for over thirty-five years, asked the students a very potent question – Where is your common sense?  He challenged the students to find one way that drugs can advance their plans for the future, and then emphatically stated that drugs do not help in any way, shape, or form.  The last snowmobiler was Brent Jensen, the official Polaris representative.  He wanted to help the students understand that to have control over their lives, drugs are not an option.  He encouraged the students to never sell themselves short with the use of drugs and alcohol.  The final speaker was Caribou County Sheriff Kelly Wells, who left a lasting impression on the students when he showed a video about a man gone delirious from the use of drugs.  He wanted the students to know that even one time can get a person addicted.  These seven men, along with Tayler Meyers, who is one of the top professional women riders in the world, helped to bring the Grace High School students an added knowledge of the dangers of drugs and alcohol.

The group also brought along several of their sponsored snowmobiles for the students to admire.  Many students also had posters and magazines signed by the professional riders.  The group also passed out Klim, Polaris, and Charmac shirts, hats, and helmets to the students as a reminder to always stay drug free.