The Election Games of 2017-18

Soriah Lunt

Every year, around this time, Grace High School starts to get anxious.  The Election Games for the next school year have begun.  Candidates race for a place in the finals, with the Ultimate Prize being their goal – being a Class or Executive Officer.  Blaringly bright posters cover the hallways, constantly vying for onlookers’ attentions.  Class period announcements are frequently interrupted by contestants contending for their platform statement to be heard by the rest of the school.  Lockers are daily bombarded by a variety of candy, junk food, and papers all proclaiming the validity of the candidates and their desired positions.  In the midst of all this chaos, the Election Games still serve a purpose.  The winners of this dangerous campaign will be elected to be the next year’s leaders and dreamers of the school.

The candidates for the Executive Council, the more dangerous and challenging of the two positions, were studiously interviewed by Grace High School’s own Effie Trinket, Kaelin Mottishaw, along with Braxton Jensen, a perfectly enthusiastic Caesar Flickerman.  The questions, designed to test the candidates’ uttermost ability and mental agility, determined how far the candidates would advance to the next round.  After being judged of their responses, the candidates advance to the final, most potentially fatal round – the dreaded debate.  The teams face off with each other, neither yielding, and attempt to win over the hearts of the school by their arguments and responses.

The questions that were posed to the candidates were carefully chosen in order to provide the most challenging situation for the teams.  The questions and responses are as follows:

• If your group suddenly became celebrities, who would you want to be, and why?
    • Jared, Gable, Oaklie, Meghan (FANTASTIC 4) – “The Avengers, or Harrison Ford, or Tom Holland (because he is Spiderman!!)”
    • Alyson, Amanda, Kresta, Heather (HAKA) – “I think we would be the Spice Girls, because we have a lot of charisma…”
  • What school tradition are you most proud of?
    • FANTASTIC 4 – “The Great Race and Homecoming Week! Also, we thought the floor show was really cool, too.”
    • HAKA – “The Great Race and Homecoming Week!”
  • If you were to compete in the Hunger Games, how would you win?
    • FANTASTIC 4
      • Jared – “Bow and Arrow. Hands down.”
      • Gable – “I would kill Peeta first…After that, nothing matters.”
      • Meghan – “I would just be Katniss. Enough said!”
      • Oaklie – “Totally just by hiding…”
    • HAKA
      • Heather – “I would probably strategize and try to find food, water, and matches first. Then I would try to find a really nice hiding spot so I could just hide there until it is over.”
      • Amanda – “I would win by challenging them to a battle of wits!”
      • Kresta – “I would just run really fast and I would use a tomahawk on people if they tried to take my stuff. It’s survival of the fittest!  And then I would go find a hiding spot.”
      • Alyson – “I would hollow out a tree, and then hide in that. Then I would dig tunnels through the ground…with a cornucopia! And I have a great ability to go days without food!”
    • What did you like about how this year’s executive council performed?
      • FANTASTIC 4 – “They had a lot of good activities, and they were really organized.”
      • HAKA – “They are a really fun group and stayed involved with everything that we did. They also had a lot of fun new activities, or ones that we hadn’t done in a while.”
    • What would you do if your group found a unicorn? How would you use it to help the school?
      • FANTASTIC 4
        • Jared – “I would tame it, ride it, and it would probably poop cupcakes…We could hide it in the back of the lunch room…”
        • Gable – “I would kill it and use its horns to spread school spirit around…”
        • Meghan – “I would be pretty excited, I’m not gonna lie… but I guess I could use it to help save the school…”
        • Oaklie – “It would be our new mascot!”
      • HAKA
        • Heather – “I would take the unicorn dust, and I would sprinkle it all over everyone so that they would have the ambition to do all their homework. Everyone needs some of that!”
        • Amanda – “I would help the school by bringing the unicorn to school and make people happier but also to give them the motivation to finish school!”
        • Kresta – “I would just bring it to school every day, and be like, “This is my unicorn! His name is….Alfred…“
        • Alyson – “…Use it as a companion animal! Like, you know how they have companion dogs that help people through stressful times – it would be a Bonding-High-School-Companion-Unicorn!”
      • What would you change for next year?
        • FANTASTIC 4 – “We want to get more people involved, not just certain groups or anything, everyone!”
        • HAKA – “We all want to be a part of ideas to help expand people’s minds. We want people to know that we can make Homecoming Week better every year!”
      • Does your group have a “campaign platform” that you hope to present to the school through your campaigning?
        • FANTASTIC 4 – “We want to make next year fantastic! We are saving next year through each person’s hidden super powers.  We are talking about confidence, how they interact with people, and using everybody’s talents to make us awesome!”
        • HAKA – “Our initials spell out ‘HAKA,’ so our theme has been being “Forever Strong,” and being unified.”
      • Additional responses!
        • FANTASTIC 4 – “Don’t do drugs and stay in school – but in all honesty, we think the fact that there was so much competition made it a lot more fun. It made us want to push more and be more involved with everyone because we knew that they were such amazing opponents.  May the Force be with you!”
        • HAKA – “We love the other team, very very much…they are our best friends! We wish that all eight of us could work together next year, but we know we can’t, so we wish you guys good luck!”

We would like to congratulate both teams for the incredible campaigning that went on last week.  Both teams put forth a lot of effort to win the hearts of the students.  Mr. Brady was very impressed with all 8 students.  However, eight people and two teams went into the election, and only 4 people with a unified team left.  The winners of the 2017-2018 Election Games, and the Executive Council of Grace High School are….*drum roll please*…. Jared Smith as Student Body President, Gable Holyoak as Student Body Vice-President, Meghan McCulloch as Student Body Secretary, and Oaklie Jensen as Student Body Reporter! Way to go, Fantastic 4!