Rodeo Road to State

Josie Jensen

“There she goes! The fastest barrel racer in the nation!”  “Ladies and gentlemen, don’t let this tough cowboy go home without a verbal acknowledgement of your appreciation!”  Phrases such as these fill the air as high school students compete in rodeos across the nation. High school rodeo began in 1947 and has  become a huge organization since then. The toughest competitors in the land vie for one of six spots to qualify for the State Rodeo Competition in Pocatello, Idaho this June.  The Caribou County Rodeo Team, which includes students from Grace, Soda Springs, and North Gem High Schools, are a part of the 8th district which also includes Malad, Preston, Bear Lake, and Marsh Valley High Schools, as well as out-of-state Utah and Wyoming.

After all the rigorous hours spent in the arena off season, no matter how terrible the weather conditions, the rodeo team is looking forward to a great year with five state qualifiers and two national qualifiers returning. Josie Jensen, a senior from Grace High School and state qualifier will be competing in barrel racing, pole bending, breakaway roping, goat tying, and team roping. Josie is also the district secretary and expresses excitement about the buckles the presidency picked out for awards this year. She is also thrilled to come back into the spring rodeos after having a strong fall rodeo season. Grace junior Justin Partain, who is a state and national qualifier competes in the trap shooting event. Justin states that the shooting contest went extremely well for him, and he is ready for state to compete for yet another shot at nationals. Justin is also the shooting director and commented on how well each of the contestants did. Sydney Partain, a freshman at Grace, will be competing in the queen contest, barrel racing, pole bending, goat tying, and trap shooting. Sydney states, “I have a really good chance at winning the queen contest. I did really well at the contest and feel confident about it.” Also returning to the team are seniors Shawnee Sherwood and Garrett Moore, junior Ainsley Moore, sophomores Cassidy Corta, Camberlee Thompson, Jenna Devine, and Chance Williams. We also have four new incoming club members: freshmen Dustin Thompson and Ben Wells, as well as sophomores Shaylie Peck and Izzy Hanson.

The club has strong competitors fighting for the top six spots at the Idaho High School State Rodeo. We wish them good luck and invite you to come and support these athletes who have worked hard to get where they are.