Make-A-Wish

Making Ryken's wish come true.

Marina Warnes, Author

The Make-A-Wish Foundation is a nonprofit organization that takes the “wishes” of children with terminal diseases and turns them into reality. Grace High School student council member, Oaklie Jensen, pitched the idea to make a child’s wish to come true through the foundation. The council decided to take on the challenge of raising money to make Ryken’s wish come true. Thirteen year old Ryken was diagnosed with leukemia in July of 2016. He is currently ​ in cytogenetic remission for the cancer.  This means that he will continue to take a daily chemotherapy drug for at least the next three years. He has returned back to school and has even been skiing this winter, something his family could not imagine ever happening a few months ago. Ryken​  enjoys ​ adventure!  He likes to snow ski, swim, cooking, and baking; especially when he creates his own recipes. Ryken is witty and comedic. He’s always making his family laugh at his cleverness. His  wish is to GO spearfishing in the Bahamas!

Currently, with the help of the community, Grace High has been able to raise just short of $5,000. The school hopes to reach their goal of $6,500 by the end of March. When the the council reaches their goal, each member has pledged to do a task. When the school raises $6,500 to send Ryken to the Bahamas, Jared Smith will wear a prom dress for a whole day of school, Gable Holyoak will eat a live goldfish, Meghan McCulloch will ride her bike from her home in Bancroft to school one morning, Oaklie Jensen will have the student body decide what she will do, Alyson Weaver will drink three raw eggs, Soriah Lunt will have a student cut her hair, Mr. Brady will shave his head, and Mr. Holyoak will do two-hundred push-ups.  Other faculty and community members have also made pledges to continue this awesome effort!