What to Do with a Deck of Cards

Hannity Johnson

It seems to be a well-known fact that people spend most of their lives sleeping. It is my personal belief that when we aren’t sleeping, we spend most of our lives being bored. What to do, what to do… Ah! Out of the many things to do that could occupy our time, why don’t we go with a classic—card games. There are so many different card games to play. For those of you bored souls looking for a game to play with those random decks of cards that always seem to be lying around, here are six games to play with a deck (or decks) of cards.
Image result for deck of cards

1. Egyptian Rat Screw

This game involves slapping. A LOT of slapping. It is the most fun with multiple decks of cards and three or more people, but it can be played with one deck and two people. All the cards are dealt out equally to all the players. The players cannot look at their cards. Instead, they hold them face down.  Starting at the left of the dealer and moving in a clockwise direction, players will quickly (and without looking) slide the first card off the top of their pile and lay it face up on the pile in the middle of all the players. The game continues in this manner until: two of the same number are placed on top of one another, one card is “sandwiched” in between two of the same number, or the joker is played. If any of these things happen, any of the players can slap the pile, take all the cards, and add them to the bottom of their pile. The first player to slap gets it. They then lay down another card, and the game continues. If a player incorrectly slaps the pile, that person must put their hand out and give each of the other players an opportunity to slap their hand. Whoever gets all the cards, wins. Also, if someone lays down a face card (jack, queen, or king) the person to their left has a certain number of chances to lay down another face card. (Jack is one chance, queen is two chances, and king is three chances.) if they do, the next person has however many chances, etc. If one does not lay down another face card in the chances given, the one who laid down the last face card gets to take the pile. This game can be both fun and painful. Just don’t play it with people who dislike you, and you should be fine.

1. B.S.

This game is played with more than two players and preferably two or more decks of cards. Just like Egyptian Rat Screw, all the cards are dealt equally to all the players. Then, starting with the person to the left of the dealer and moving in a clockwise direction, each player lays down however many cards they want face down and tells the others what cards they are. The numbers must go in order from ace all the way to king before starting over. The person may be lying about the cards or telling the truth. If the other players think the person is telling the truth, they let it be and continue with the game. If they suspect they are lying, they may yell, “B.S.” Then, the player who played the cards must show his or her cards to the others. If they were lying, they have to take the whole pile of cards that were played and add it to their hand, If they were telling the truth, the person who called them out must take all of the cards and add them to his hand. Whoever gets rid of all their cards first wins. Be paying attention to the numbers you have in your hand to help you decipher whether someone is telling the truth. This game can get heated and interesting. Good luck.

1. Go Fish

This game can be played with two or more players and one or more decks of cards. Each player is dealt five cards. Once the game is started, all the players lay down any matches they have in front of them. Then, once again starting with the person to the left of the dealer and going clockwise, a player asks any other player if they have a certain card so that a match can be made. If the player that was asked has the card, they must give it up to the one who asked. If they do not have that card, they say “Go fish” and the player who asked must draw a card from the pile of cards that were not dealt out. The person who gets rid of their cards the fastest wins. To make this game more fun, more cards can be dealt out. Have fun with this game that has nothing to do with aquatic animals.

1. Old Maid

For this game, One specific card (probably a joker) will be designated as the “Old Maid”. all other cards like that one are taken out. Five cards are dealt to each player. Starting with the player to the left of the dealer and moving in a clockwise direction, each player starts by laying down their matches. Then, they draw a card from the pile. To end their turn, they draw a card randomly from the hand of the person to their left. The game ends when all of the cards are laid down as matches. Whoever ends with the old maid loses.

1. Philadelphia

If you like Phase 10, you will love Philadelphia. For this game, you will need two decks for 4-6 people. After 6 people, add a deck for every two players. Each player is dealt 11 cards except on the last round (13 cards).

Like Phase 10, you have certain hands that you must complete before you can move onto the next hand. If someone goes out and you haven’t laid your hand down that round, you will stay on the same hand for the next round. You must be able to lay all the required cards down at once.

• Groups- a minimum of 3 cars that are the same (3, 3, 3 or A, A, A), may have more than 3
  • Runs- a minimum of 4 cards of the same suit in consecutive order; you may “wrap around the world” (3, 2, A, K)
  • Turn one card over from the stack to begin your discard pile.
  • Player to the left of the dealer goes first.
  • Pick up one card (either from the face-down stack or the discard pile)
  • Lay down set/hand (if possible). You may only lay down the current hand—no additions (ex. If, after you’ve laid down 2 groups and you
    happen to have sufficient for a third, you may not lay it down)
  • “Hit” (discard) on other players’ hands if possible (you can only “hit” when you have laid down your cards for that round)
  • If you cannot hit because you haven’t laid down, but someone else could, by saying “Philadelphia” when you discard your card that card will be locked so no one else can pick it up. If you say “Philadelphia” and you were mistaken, you have to take a card. If you laid down a card that could be played/hit on someone else’s group or run, and you did not say “Philadelphia,” someone else could say it and they can either take a card if they haven’t laid down yet, or they could discard a card if they have  and are trying to go out.
  • Discard on the discard pile to end the turn
  • You can say “buy” if you want the card on top of the discard pile.
  • If you say “buy,” you have bought the card even if you change your mind
  • 1st person to say “buy” gets the card unless whoever’s turn it is wants it
  • If you buy a card you must take 1 penalty card.
  • You may only lay down the hand you are on, no additions.
  • Wild cards (jokers) on the table can be traded out if a player has the card it represents, but he/she must put the wild card somewhere else.
  • A player “goes out” when he/she discards their last card. The hand is finished and points are tallied.

Hands

2 Groups; 1 Run & 1 Group; 2 Runs; 3 Groups; 1 Run & 2 Groups; 2 Runs & 1 Group; 3 Runs (For this last hand: Deal 13 cards. You must lay all the cards on the table at once, no discard.* Only one player will lay down)

Points

Singles (0-9)=5; Tens and Faces=10; Aces=20; Jokers (Wild)=50

*The play goes as normal—each turn a player picks up and discards one card—only to be able to “lay down,” the player must draw a card and be able to lay down 3 runs (can exceed 4 cards/run) without discarding a single card. The game is finished and points are tallied. It is possible to win the game by the points w/o being the player to go out on the last hand.

1. Hand and Foot

This game may need a bit more explaining…

http://www.gocampingamerica.com/blog/how-play-card-game-hand-and-foot

Regardless of what card games you play and how you play them, card games are classic ways to ward off the evil spirits of boredom. Enjoy!

Image result for deck of cards