The Grizzly Growl

The Grizzly Growl

Cross Country; The Race has Begun!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cross Country; The Race has Begun!

Brinklee L. Holyoak, Author

Your legs are burning as you stride them along the rough terrain. Sweat drips down your face and back as you race through the dry hot course. After what seems like an eternity, you finally see the finish line. As you force your body to give every last bit of energy it has, you hear heavy breathing behind you. Your opponent approaches you as you both sprint to the bright colors that mark the end of your agonizing push through three miles. Neck and neck, you can hear the crowd cheering for you to push through, and also cheering for the opponent to beat you. You give one final push, then at last cross the finish line, milliseconds before your competitor. You have won not only a victory for your team, but a victory for your mind.

What is this sport you may ask? It is none other than the fall sport named Cross Country! Cross Country has started up for the Grizzlies once more. The team is very excited to race into their season, and hopefully bring home a district trophy. The team is lead by team captains Steven Murdoch and Brinklee Holyoak, and coached by Sara Edwards and Tanya Gilbert. Here is some awesome information about the new head coach, Sara Edwards.

Sara Edwards attended High School in Heber City, Utah where she participated in soccer for her whole high school career. She received the opportunity to play soccer in college at William Penn University in Iowa. “I was not a huge fan of running back in the day, unless I was chasing a soccer ball!” Sara recalls. After two years of soccer, she transferred to Utah State University, where she met her husband, Clint Edwards. She moved to Burely Idaho where she coached high school girl’s soccer for two years. After several more moves, Sara and her family ended up in Grace. Since soccer was not an option in Grace, Sara switched her training from soccer to running. “I am super excited to be coaching the Grace Cross Country team!” Coach Edwards remarks, “We have such a great group of Junior High and High School kids running this year, with almost 25 kids overall! I’m really looking forward to watching these athletes continue to get better and better, and can’t wait to see where it takes us this season and in seasons to come!”

Through hard work and dedication, the 2018 Cross Country team sets their goals high and keeps their running times low. Lead by Coach Edwards and Coach Gilbert, the team will push their limit and achieve great things in the upcoming season.