The Grizzly Growl

The Grizzly Growl

Coaching Character–Q & A with Coach Dodge

Poised+to+win%2C+Grizzlies+take+the+field+in+New+Plymouth.+The+final+score+against+Kamiah+was+26-12.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Poised to win, Grizzlies take the field in New Plymouth. The final score against Kamiah was 26-12.

Enthusiasm, energy, and excellence–three words that describe new football coach Mark Dodge. Mr. Dodge is not new to GHS, nor is he new to coaching football, but he is new to coaching football at GHS. We asked him to share a few insights about the season and coaching.

Q: You recently switched from coaching wrestling to coaching football. What are the biggest differences between the two experiences?

A: Wrestling was a great experience. It will be different because I am switching from an individual sport to a team sport. We have to train the team as a whole to work together in order to have success.

We have to train the team as a whole to work together in order to have success.”

— Mark Dodge

Q: I’ve noticed the team started practicing during the summer. What have they done to prepare for the season?

A: There were about 15 guys who made it to the weight room to get bigger, faster, and stronger. They also learned how to get along and passing patterns as well

Q: What really excites you about the upcoming season?

A: I am excited because this team knows how to work. So far, they are coachable.

Q: Football really gets the community excited. What can the community do to support the team?

A: I think coming to the games is a great support. There is nothing like having a packed crowd yelling and screaming for the team.

Q: If you could give your team members one key take-away that you want them to have from this experience, what would that be?

A: I think if all I do is coach the X’s and O’s I have failed. I want these young men to turn into great men who contribute to society when they graduate!

Q: Who are your own role models?

A: I have many great role models–my brothers, my dad, my father-in-law, and Jesus Christ.

As many of your know, coaching takes a great deal of time between practices and games. When Mr. Dodge isn’t teaching or coaching, he is spending time with his family. We asked his wife, Shantay, to provide a short biography so that our readers can get to know Coach Dodge a little better:

Mark Dodge was born February 3, 1986 in Norman, Oklahoma. From the moment he was born, he had Oklahoma Sooner blood going through him. When Mark was eight-years-old, his family moved northwest to Vancouver, Washington. Mark attended the rest of elementary school, middle school and high school there. He went on to achieve many great accomplishments. He was successful in all he did, merely from his 100% dedication and hard work. Following high school, Mark went to Utah Valley University to earn his degree in Education. While going to Utah Valley, he wrestled to represent the wolverines. In 2008, he was married to Shantay Hall. They currently live in Bancroft, ID (don’t judge) and have five children: Porter, Tatum, Bronson, and Hallie, and an angel daughter, Carly. He loves teaching at Grace and the students he associates with!