The Grizzly Growl

The Grizzly Growl

Study Tips So Your Grades Don’t Tip!

Brinklee Holyoak, Author

never regard study as a duty but as the enviable opportunity to learn”

— Albert Einstein

It’s that time of year again. No….not Christmas….I wish it was that. It is that time where students cram, teachers grin, and parents everywhere hear the constant phrase, “Mom, I swear I studied. The stuff on there were things we didn’t even learn in class!” Mid-terms are approaching quickly, are you ready? If not, that’s okay. Here are some study suggestions to help you ace that one test you are freaking out about (we all have one).

• Start studying NOW… RIGHT NOW

Yes, this one can be hard. The usual student would say, “Why would I do that? I still have two weeks until my test, I’ll be fine!” Well, as appealing as that sounds, it is not always the best method….unless you can memorize multiple pages of hard information in one night…..if that’s the case then go you

• Organize your study space and dispose of distractions

Make sure that your go-to study place is nice, orderly, and free of distractions. We all have different distractions, so just make sure yours are put away. Example of distractions: Cell Phone/Social media, Netflix, food, and several more.

• Study when your sleepy

This one seems crazy, but it is true. While you sleep, your brain restores memories and events that happened throughout the previous day. So, when you get sleepy your brain is already starting to restore memories, raising the likelihood of you remembering the material.

• Acronyms and catchy phrases

Why is it that humans can memorize every single line to a catchy song, yet can’t seem to memorize the quadratic equation? Well, when material is put to a creative tune or something like an acronym, humans will remember it way easier than just memorizing line by line.

• Teach others about the material you are studying

When you teach someone else, you are forced to know the material in order to teach efficiently. The more you teach it, the easier it will be to remember it on the test. So take those complex fractions and go teach your little sister how to add them!

• Give your brain a break!

Letting your brain rest and relax for about 5-10 minutes will not only reduce the chance of a head-pounding headache, but will also help you retain more information than just studying for 3 hours straight. Go and enjoy a cold glass of milk or that left over pumpkin pie piece from the fridge….you know you want to eat it.

And there you go! These study tips have been proven to be very effective to other students studying for midterms and other tests. So next time you have that hard-core test coming up the road, refer to these lovely little tips and you will be just fine.

About the Writer
Brinklee Holyoak, Author

Hello, my name is Brinklee Holyoak, but you probably already know that because if you are reading this you clicked on the icon by my name. Before I tell...