The Grizzly Growl

The Grizzly Growl

More Than a Competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

More Than a Competition

Sarah Brady, Author

As a school, Grace High has spent the past week gathering food to donate to the Elk’s Foundation. All week the students brought in hundreds of cans so they could get a school excused day. Mr. Newby’s class spent over $200 on food to donate so they could win the class competition and it paid off. Mr. Newby’s class won first place, while Mr. Brady’s Student Government was a close second, and Mr. Dodge’s Economics class reached third place. Overall, the competition was well worth it. As a school, we reached a grand total of 2,081 items, which was way over our goal of 1,000 items. However, the school did not donate these cans to get a school excused day, but donate these canned foods and toiletry items to Elk’s Foundation.

The Elk’s Foundation takes donations and makes gift baskets for families in need. Our school has helped more than we know. The first day of the competition, our school only brought about one hundred cans. This made us very nervous. We couldn’t donate anything until we got at least a thousand items. We were wondering if we would need to extend the donation period to two weeks instead of one. On Tuesday, things got a little more heated. Mr. Dodge’s class brought in a lot of items and Mr. Newby’s class started to bring in a few more items.  This started to restore our faith. There was no competition between the rest of the classes until Thursday. Thursday was the day that Grace High School killed it. Almost every class brought in a lot of cans. Mr. Brady’s Student Government class brought in a ton of items. The previous days, there was only a competition between Mr. Newby’s class and Mr. Dodge’s class, until Thursday. Student Government overloaded and came back. However, despite the amount of items they brought, Mr. Newby’s class won by a landslide.

This was just a friendly competition for a good cause. Our school is very proud to have been a part of this organization and help families in need, especially with Christmas just around the corner.

About the Writer
Sarah Brady, Author

HEY! I am Sarah Brady and I'm a senior. I am happy to be at Grace High but I am ready for a change. After graduation, my plans include moving to Alaska...