The Grizzly Growl

The Grizzly Growl

Can Pets Help You?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Can Pets Help You?

Destiny Skinner, author

Have you ever been down one day and your dog/cat comes up to you, and once you start petting him/her and you feel better. These animals don’t ask for much just a short list of basics such as: food, water, shelter, veterinary care, and, of course, our companionship. Pets offer far more in return, teaching us about love, improving our emotional and physical health, and providing us with unconditional affection and friendship. They help people of all ages learn about responsibility, loyalty, empathy, sharing, and unconditional love qualities particularly essential to a child’s healthy development. Through helping to care for a pet, children also learn to care for their fellow human beings.

Kindness to animals is a lesson that benefits people, too. It’s proven that having pets makes you physically healthier. It’s said that it helps your heart because people with dogs walk more. Studies show, heart attack survivors and people with serious abnormal heart rhythms who own dogs live longer than people with the same heart problems who don’t have pets. Pets can help relieve stress because petting your dog/cat it helps lower your blood pressure, helps your body release a relaxation hormone, and cuts down on levels of a stress hormone. People with pets are generally happier, more trusting, and less lonely than those who don’t have pets. It’s true. Spending quality time with a dog, cat or other animal can have a positive impact on your mood and your health. Just petting your dog/cat can help you feel connected, calm, and less stressed.  A new study shows they can also help create human-to-human friendships and social support, both of which are good for long-term health.

Dogs may also detect changes in behavior, body language, or odor that precede seizures in their human partners, alerting them so that they may seek a safe environment. Did you know that pets can help the elderly, sometimes elderly people find themselves living alone because they have outlived loved ones, or because they live far from any family. Pets can make you laugh so hard that it makes your stomach hurt. I did a survey of my own I used a picture of an elderly couple and a couple with a dog and asked 13 students witch one would you approach. 5 Students said they would approach the man with the dog.  8 Students said they would approach the elderly couple.

Pullquote Photo

The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.”

— Samuel Bulter