The Grizzly Growl

The Grizzly Growl

Life Outside of High School

Kylee Painter, Author

As students in high school, we want to succeed in with the things that we love most. For a lot of us, we want to be able to perform our very best at sports we love. Which means that if we want to get better, we have to devote all of our time, and give extra effort into practices and games. Because we live in such a small town, that is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, we tend to have to travel farther than others who live in a bigger city would have to in order to polish our talents. 

We want to be able to perform our very best at sports we love.”

— Kylee Painter

In our school there are several students who spend most of their high school careers playing sports and bettering themselves. We asked only a few of the students who fall into this category a series of questions, asking them about their own experiences playing on different club teams. A club team is a community-driven sport activity program. These programs require dedication and sometimes a hefty fee. One of the students is Gage Stoddard. Gage spends most of his time playing basketball. He is always in the gym practicing and bettering himself. Gage has to travel to Logan, Utah, which is about an hour and fifteen minutes away, two times a week, and he practices two hours each day. The furthest he has to travel for tournaments is from California all the way up to Seattle, Washington. He has to fly to every tournament do to the fact that they are so far away. Gage says that his favorite part of playing on a club team is the competitiveness and the traveling.

Another student who plays on a club team outside of the school is Madison Windley. Madison loves to play basketball. She spends around five to six hours a week driving to Logan, Utah, as well. Her season starts in March and goes all the way until July. She travels all the way to California for her tournaments. Madison says that her favorite part about playing on a club team is being able to meet new people and creating friendships. As well as learning and doing what she loves, and becoming a better athlete.

One activity that happens outside of school is Social Dance Club. A student that loves to be a part of this amazing group is Morgan Bower. Morgan spends an hour and fifteen minutes practicing every Friday from October to December. And then again from the end of March to the end of May. During the winter, the club does a performance and all the money they make goes to families in need. And in the spring, the club performs to all the different schools from Caribou County and the surrounding areas . There are all sorts of dances that the kids learn, and Morgan has participated in is the Foxtrot twice, the Country Swing twice, and the Salsa once. Morgan says her favorite part about social dance is being able to meet all new people in the club who participate in dance with her as well as making great friendships that will last forever.

Through my experience, I love to play volleyball and I want to be able to play volleyball as long as possible. Every week, I spend an hour and fifteen minutes driving to Logan. I practice for two hours twice a week. This year, the furthest we are traveling is all the way to Florida for nationals. My favorite part is meeting new people, and stepping out of my comfort zone. I also enjoy bettering myself and learning new things.

It’s awesome to be able to travel and meet new people, and all at the same time, bettering ourselves. We are so lucky and we should be grateful to be able to travel and get to spend time doing what we love.

About the Writer
Kylee Painter, Author

I'm Kylee Painter, a Junior in high school and I'm 17 years old. I have one sibling, and I am the baby of the family. My friends would tell you that I...