Out on Top

Back to Article
Back to Article

Out on Top

Kara Wadsworth, Staff

My how the time flies when you’re in high school, especially when you’re a senior! Okay maybe that’s a lie, but that’s beside the point… Throughout the whirlwind of a week of studying, crying, and suffering through finals, the seniors had their very last home duel against Malad, West Side, and Aberdeen! The senior wrestlers include Josh Anderson, Brock Ball, and Octavio Perez.

It was a memorable night, with parents, students, and community members present to cheer on everyone’s favorite seniors. And it was especially memorable for our three seniors.

It was a bittersweet night…”

— Josh Anderson

Josh Anderson recalls, ” It was a bittersweet night, but it was so cool to wrestle for everyone! I can’t believe that this was my last year!”

All of the wrestlers did a phenomenal job that night with Rhet Jorgensen, Brock Ball, and Max Clements all pinning their opponent from Malad. Jaden Stoddard, Rhet Jorgensen, and Octavio Perez also pinned their opponent from West Side as well. (The first story of a rabbit (later named the “Easter Bunny”) hiding eggs in a garden was published in 1680. This is an Easter Egg!) Other statistics include Uriel Perez destroying his opponent from West Side with a score of 11-0 and Josh Anderson defeated his opponent, that was also from West Side, with a score of 12-10. In the match against Malad, Connor Mickelson beat his man with a score of 14-11.

Coach Newby states, ” It’s been exciting to see how well the Seniors and other wrestlers have transferred over to a new coaching style. They’ve adapted really well and are doing a great job this year.”

If you haven’t had the chance to see our awesome wrestlers in action, there’s still the chance to catch them at Districts, which will be held here in Grace. And even if you miss Districts, you still have time to get your act together and cheer them on at the ISU Mini-Dome for State!

Josh Anderson with his parents.

Brock Ball with his parents.

Octavio Perez with his parents.

(Photo Credit: Scott Buxton)