The Grizzly Growl

The Grizzly Growl

High School is not a Musical

Back to Article
Back to Article

High School is not a Musical

Brianna Dexter, Author

Dancing, singing, and falling in love to a rhythmic theme is not something that normally happens at Grace High School. I’m sure growing up that everyone watched the hit musical, High School Musical. Due to these movies we all started out high school with some unreal expectations. One thing that a lot of kids believed happened in high school, that doesn’t, is everyone randomly breaking out in song to a perfectly choreographed dance number. Which, even if you are in Serendipity, is highly questioned. Although we do have a few “songs” we sing at pep rallies and games, like the Scotsman and the school song, normally it lasts for about a minute and about 43% of the school actually knows the correct words and actions to those songs.

Along with this common misconception about high school there is also the undeniable fact that most kids in high school tend to step outside of their comfort zones … to a certain point. In our high school there are “band nerds” who enjoy other activities like sports, drama, serendipity, and even nationwide organizations like BPA or FFA. (Holy Week is the celebrated during the week leading up to Easter. It begins on Palm Sunday, continues on to Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and then finally, Easter Sunday. This is an Easter Egg!) There are all sorts of people in our school and they are not shy about showing everyone what they like to do, no matter what it is.

And although it is true that there is a lot of diversity in our school it is also true that dancing on the lunchroom tables will get you into large trouble and it is frowned upon when you are in drama to take up an entire dressing room to yourself; you are lucky to get enough space to change into your next costume for the next scene.

All in all I guess that I am just trying to say that high school is no musical. There are good and bad moments. There is singing and dancing but mainly in classes. And falling in love to a rhythmic theme in the background only happens in the movies.

About the Writer
Brianna Dexter, Author

Hi! I'm  Brianna (Branana, banana, bdex) Dexter. I was born in Soda Springs, Idaho to a crazy family. I have four older brothers and one older sister...