The Grizzly Growl

The Grizzly Growl

Earth Without ‘Art’ Would Just Be Eh

Back to Article
Back to Article

Earth Without ‘Art’ Would Just Be Eh

Brianna Dexter, Author

The arts enable us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. ”

— Thomas Merton

Did you know that choir uses both the left and right sides of your brain? Or that some therapists recommend theater as a form of mental therapy? What about the fact that art can enhance your hand eye coordination skills by up to one hundred percent? A lot of the world believes that choir, drama, and art have no place in schools and more than 47% of schools in the United States do not fund these programs. When asked why the arts are so important in kids lives Beth Buxton answered, “Why do you need Math or English? Because it is important. Music in and of itself is important because it is one of the only activities that everyone does in daily life that uses both the left and the right side of the brain. You are being creative and having fun but at the same time you are being logical and learning. It’s like weightlifting for your brain.” Not only do choir and band do these things but they also help with many social aspects in kids lives like making friends and finding where you fit in.

The opposite of this is drama. Drama allows you to be whomever you want to be and have a lot of fun. Mr. Hubbard, Grace High School’s drama department director, had this to say about this years play, “It started out rocky but turned out great. I think that everyone had a lot of fun and really got out of their shells.” Plays started in the 5th century in Greece by a man named Dionysus. This sparked many great authors and screen writers to start to explore this area (Yes, this includes Shakespeare). Some of the most famous plays are My Fair Lady, Romeo and Juliet, Wicked, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. For many people Drama is a way to escape reality and become someone new.

This is kind of the purpose of art too actually. When you make something with your own hands and imagination there is something that happens. You are suddenly filled with pride and a sense of accomplishment. It’s like the world floats away and it becomes a master piece in your eyes … until you become a professional. Many artists today say that if you don’t hate your creation at least once than you didn’t work hard enough on it.

If you do not hate your creation at least once than you didn’t work hard enough. ”

Just take Mr. Hook for instance he worked on one painting for over six months. The only thing that I have done for that long is procrastinate! Art is a terrific program that any student who wants to should get into. Art is far more than just drawing or painting or sketching on a blank piece of paper. In that blank piece of paper you completely lose yourself and the world. In art you can create a whole new world.

The arts are far more than just classes.

About the Writer
Brianna Dexter, Author

Hi! I'm  Brianna (Branana, banana, bdex) Dexter. I was born in Soda Springs, Idaho to a crazy family. I have four older brothers and one older sister...