Best Principal Award

Shelby Carter, Editor

When it comes to amazing principals, Grace High School has the absolute best. Stephen Brady was raised by Bill and Melody Brady in Sacramento, California. When he turned 12 they moved to Toquerville, Utah,a town with a population of 500. He attended junior high and high school at Hurricane High School. As a senior at Hurricane High he earned the award as the most involved student in extra-curricular activities and he was also student body president. After his high school career he attended Dixie State, Brigham Young University, and Utah State. He graduated from all three schools and he earned his principal’s endorsement from Idaho State University. When asked about his college career and how he liked it he exclaimed, “I loved college, but there is not enough time for me to share all the awesome and crazy things I did”! He is 58 years old but has the energy of someone who is 16! Mr. Brady chose to leave teaching LDS seminary, but he loved teenagers and he wanted to keep working with them so that is why he became the principal. He also loves planning big events and wanted his kids in Grace to have big time experiences. He married Jeri Kay Belnap on April 20, 1984 and he exclaimed,“It was the best decision I ever made, and she is now my very best friend”! If anyone is affected by his career choice, Jeri Kay takes number one.

Students spend a daily average of nine hours at school, but Mr. Brady spends well over that. There have been some days when he has shown up to the school insanely early while everyone was still fast asleep in their beds. After showing up super early in the morning to make sure this school was perfect, he would stay hours after school. Jeri Kay stated, “He once stayed at the school until 4:00 A.M.”! There is no way anyone could thank Mr. Brady enough for all of the hard work he has done and the hundreds of hours he spends to make this school as amazing as it is.

Mr. Brady is full of life and full of love. The best thing about Grace High School’s principal is that the students feel they can talk to him about anything. Mr. Brady has helped hundreds of students get through not only school issues but life issues. Some students look at Mr. Brady as more of a father figure or even as a best friend. Brook Mathews shared her appreciation for Mr. Brady when she stated, “He has helped me with college and scholarships, confidence in myself, relationships, and dealing with certain situations. He has helped me so much! I could not have made it through high school without all of his help and advice! I especially love all of the relationship advice he has given me”! Devinee Sorenson stated, “Mr. Brady has been like a second father to me while I have been in high school. He is always helping me improve academics and extracurricular activities. He is always willing to drop everything to assist me in any way. He also teaches me life lessons in things that normally are not traditional in school. He is my favorite teacher and he has taught me so many things”!  Kimber Reeves took a different approach and wanted to thank Mr. Brady for all he has done. She exclaimed, “Mr. Brady! You are just the coolest human ever! Thank you for everything you have done for the school and for me personally! I have really enjoyed you during my junior high years and high school years. You have taught the school a ton! Thank you again”! When his wife was asked what his favorite part of being the principal was she stated, “That is easy because he loves being with the kids.” When Mr. Brady was asked what his favorite part about this school was he replied, “I love driving bus on trips. I get to interact with the students as a person and fewer kids think of me only as their principal. I also love the relationships I build with the students in my student government Class.” The thing is, the kids love being with him just as much as he loves being with each of them.

Brenna Matthews exclaimed, “My favorite memory with Mr. Brady is when he drove through the Stoddard’s field because Heidi forgot her coaching bag. We were all screaming and I swear he about tipped the bus over. It was seriously so funny”! Some of the student government students recall when he took them to EZ- Way so they could get hot chocolate on a cold day! Mr. Brady has even participated in assemblies where he had to dress up and act like a girl!

Whether Mr. Brady is on a bus, at an assembly, in the school, or at home he affected a lot of lives and nobody loves him more than the students at Grace High School. Thank you so much, Mr. Brady for making this school amazing and for being the best principal ever! We love you all so much!