Strength, Wits, Bonding, and Endurance

Ethan Williamson, Staff Writer

Football is a battle of strength, wits, and sheer will. Plenty of emotions and experiences tag along with the sport, some great, and some not-so-great. One of those experiences was talked about by a varsity football player, Mark McGregor. He commented, “The funniest and worst part about the whole season was when Paycen Jensen was laid out by a large #40!” Ivor Gibbs, a junior varsity football player, said that his favorite part about the practices was running Griz, an exercise for football players that takes a lot of endurance.

Swimming is a different type of sport. It is very focused on using individual strengths, rather than playing with a team. Hannity Johnson, a member of the swim team says, “My favorite part about it is how it is an independent sport and I don’t have to worry about bringing the team down.”

Some people say cross country is a sport that is a punishment for other sports. Truly, this proves how athletic a person has to be to compete. Cross country runner, Michael Anderson, said that the greatest thing for him in the sport was just “hammering down.” Michael just enjoys the effort required to run, and the mental and physical parts it strengthens.

Volleyball is a very competitive sport, and unity within a team is vital to being successful in it. This can  be accomplished with practice;  for the players it also means team bonding. JV volleyball player Lindsey Lloyd shares one of her favorite experiences being, “Every bus ride Katelyn Andersen would play her ukulele while the rest of the team would start singing with it.” One other team bonding experience happened on the way to an event. Varsity volleyball player Brenna Matthews tells, “This year our team had the opportunity to spend the weekend in Ogden and play in a volleyball tournament. Somehow, we talked our coaches and Mr. Brady into taking us to a haunted house.”

Succeeding in a sport requires passion, and each sport demands different skill sets. This just comes to show that our students have that passion. With that passion, they acquire strength, wits, bonding, and endurance.